How Do You Create New Year’s Weight-loss Goals that You Can Actually Achieve?
Before you know it, the holidays will be over and it’ll just be hibernation season. There will be more snow, it’ll be dark and cold, and there isn’t another holiday to look forward to until May. This time of year feels long and bleak. Which is why most people’s New Year’s Resolutions die off right about now.
The statistics are pretty sad when it comes to people not sticking to their goals. According to studies, of those who make a New Year’s resolution, after one week 75% are still successful in keeping it. After two weeks, the number drops to 71%. After one month, the number drops again to 64%. And after six months, 46% of people who make a resolution are still successful in keeping it.Not surprisingly, the number one resolution every year is to lose weight. But only about 8% actually lose weight and keep it off.
So… Why do most weight-loss goals fail?
1. They’re unrealistic.
2. You don’t have a good system for tracking your progress.
3. You have no plan to help you actually achieve your goal(s).
4. You allow excuses to dominate your mindset.
No matter if your goals for 2022 are personal or professional, how you create habits that stick means following the same protocol. The truth is that motivation and inspiration are overrated, and you can’t achieve much off those alone.
Here are a few ways I encourage my clients (and what I created my 12-week ThriveWell Method program around!) to create their new habits in order to be successful.
1. Decide what your end goal is and map it backwards.
2. Start small, as in only 2-3 small new habit goals for each day.
3. Your daily habit goals shouldn’t take longer than 5 minutes at a time.
4. Have a tracking system.
5. Set your environment up for you to succeed.
6. Have an accountability buddy and treat them like a coworker or manager.
7. Throw the all-or-nothing mindset out the window.
8. Control what you can control.
9. Create “bad day” and “busy day” and “bored day” plans.
You don’t have to throw your 2022 weight-loss goals out the window as soon as you miss a few days or things get rocky or life throws you a fast ball; you just need to breathe, reset, pivot, and plan. Start small. Track every day. And give yourself grace!
Want more info on my 12-week online ThriveWell Method program to help you lose weight and gain energy without harsh dieting or complicated, crazy workouts? Schedule a free 20-minute consultation with me!